Thursday, September 06, 2007

French Onion Delight

I'm not much of a foodie. I'll eat a can of Chef Boy'ardee with nary a whine. But, unconsciously perhaps, I've been searching for a bowl of French Onion soup like this since my college cocktail waitress days, when the restaurant crowd would get off work at midnight, go hit the discotheques to dance to Donna Summers, the B52's (down down down), and Michael Jackson, then of course be crazy-starved for food.

The only thing open at 2am in Charleston, SC that was halfway approachable way back when was Marianne's, the best French restaurant this side of Paris; the only thing I could afford on the menu way back when was a glass of Dubonett and a bowl of soup. The French Onion there was hearty and heavenly.

The other day I found a taste of those long ago high times when I ordered the above soup at the Carroll Street Cafe. Mon Dior, it was a nostalgic mini-reunion. Sigh....

1 comment:

Jen said...

frikkin yummy!!!