Thursday, April 06, 2006

If MySpace Took Up Arms

What if you used your cell cam for everyday cutesy snippets of video like this?

I just viewed/read something on a blog that left me shaken and sickened. And no, it wasn't just the latest report about the ATL being the #1 tourist destination for sicko, sexually perverted men who want to harm our children. (That particular item was courtesy of Rusty at Radical Georgia Moderate.)

No, the horribly sickening stuff was within a post by an Iraqi citizen named Zeyad in his blog, Healing Iraq. I'll let his own words tell you what's happening there. (Attention to that blog courtesy of Jeff Jarvis at the always powerful, always righteous BuzzMachine.)

"Today it was all out war in Baghdad.

Please don’t ask me whether I believe Iraq is on the verge of civil war yet or not. I have never experienced a civil war before, only regular ones. All I see is that both sides are engaged in tit-for-tat lynchings and summary executions. I see governmental forces openly taking sides or stepping aside.

I see an occupation force that is clueless about what is going on in the country. I see politicians that distrust each other and continue to flame the situation for their own personal interests. I see Islamic clerics delivering fiery sermons against each other, then smile and hug each other at the end of the day in staged PR stunts.

I see the country breaking into pieces. The frontlines between different districts of Baghdad are already clearly demarked and ready for the battle. I was stopped in my own neighbourhood yesterday by a watch team and questioned where I live and what I was doing in that area.

I see other people curiously staring in each other’s faces on the street. I see hundreds of people disappearing in the middle of the night and their corpses surfacing next day with electric drill holes in them. I see people blown up to smithereens because a brainwashed virgin seeker targeted a crowded market or cafĂ©. I see all that and more.

Don’t you dare chastise me for writing about what I see in my country."

Full post here. Some good news about the fate of that particular blogger here.


tags: , , , , ,

No comments: