Friday, June 08, 2007

Shout-Out To MY Social Network Peeps

I wish I had thought at the event last night (see below entry) to point out that not only do I read my social network peeps' blogs before I read "real news" (and I was able to make that point at least), but that these blogs matter to me in the greatest way possible because they ARE... my social network.

And we all know, no newspaper or TV station or magazine can really rival a person's unique social network... no matter what the age or the generation. And when these media outlets (and investors?) understand that, then we can all move forward, kindasortamaybe, together. But the peeps always go first.

That bring me to another point I must make... I can't begin to tell you what it meant to me to be standing nervously at the front of a room filled with all kinds of writers and old media and journalists and PR folk, and be able to see my social media support team right there in the front row. That is simply immeasurably value that goes so deeply beyond the incessant "monetization of blogs" yadayadayada.

Then again, it can always be measured in the value we place in the bonds of strong friendship.

Thank you guys. Y'all being there meant the world to me, and was the reason the event was so successful. Here's that blogroll that's worth anyone's daily drop-in:

Being Amber Rhea
Radical Georgia Moderate
Drifting Through The Grift
My Urban Report
Narcissistic Graffiti
Going Through The Motions

18 comments:

Sara said...

You did a great job moderating an unruly crowd and I was happy to be there to support, even though I had no interest in pimping my own blog.

rusty said...

Heh, that wasn't an unruly crowd. That was a lively crowd.

Thanks to you Grayson!

Sara said...

OK, some were definitely unruly.

MelGX said...

Did anyone think to ask APC why they don't allow bloggers to join?

Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

They (APC) thought to tell me that they were thinking of adding new catagories for membership. I assume one would be for bloggers, but I'd call Laurie Strauss there to make sure.

griftdrift said...

One of the organizers talked to Rusty and me about the very thing. She said they are trying to create some categories for bloggers and she wanted to contact us for feedback. She was very enthusiastic.

rusty said...

What Grift said.

Amber Rhea said...

The blogger leper colony!

Vic said...

dang Grayson, don't forget us little peeps outside of your social network, down here in Macon, lest we'll have to liken you to a gold dome politician or leona helmsley. we fight the good fight too:

excerpts from www.WMCCnews.com
http://www.wmccnews.com/2007/06/03/as-the-county-burns-2/#comments

Steve,

Why weren’t bloggers invited to the Telegraph’s “Mission Possible” forum today? They used to call us “fringe elements,” Today proves a continuation of that mindset. Let’s coin a new phrase at WMCC, “Public Policy Input Isolationism in the Newsroom- Boardroom.” Look at McClatchy’s (parent company of TelegrapH) two year stock chart while you are at it. from 70 to 27ish:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=MNI&t=2y

Guess the Mainstream Media Monopoly plan isn’t working out too well for stockholders.

One good thing is that when McClatchy’s (stock symbol MNI) stock price gets a little lower. Seasoned journalists can band together and purchase the various Newspapers at rock bottom prices. How does “Poor Steve’s Almanac” sound for the new name of the used to be Macon Telegraph?

Victor Jones
Macon, Georgia

Background on the Telegraph's "exclusive" public policy forum at:

http://lucididiocyblog2.blogspot.com/2007/06/mission-possible.html

Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

Oh Victor! How anyone could forget YOU of all people, I have no idea. They'd have to be in a coma. This list is a shout-out to the folks who showed-up at this one particular event last night. I was very very grateful to them, and wanted to acknowledge that gratiture somehow. In no way does this lessen my deep love and affection for my Macon-based peeps! My social media circle is wide and all-encompassing. Thanks to new media-engaged folks like you!

Amber Rhea said...

LOL.

Aerodad said...

Oh good. Well at least we're not dim. :-P

griftdrift said...

I think we've actually moved up to slightly glowing.

newmediajim said...

Despite how nervous you may have felt, you sound like the typically strong, funny, savvy, in-command Grayson who I've come to know and admire. (i'm listening to the podcast now.) Wish I'd ben there!

Amber Rhea said...

My photos from the event are now on Flickr.

Vic said...

Glad you guys got ADD redemption and forgiveness after crucifying Andisheh last weekend.

In the meantime, we got someone with mainstream media corporate financial research savvy running around in Macon doing Grayson Daughters' impersonations on Travis Fain's "Lucid Idiocy."


https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=5371298524895897833&postID=4721924360258095350

A.man.I aka The Urban Reporter said...

That was fun. It looks the APC is going to start letting us reputable bloggers join.

Amber Rhea said...

"Reputable bloggers"... Amani, don't be crazy! Isn't that a contradiction in terms?