Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Diane Glass

Diane Glass was the girl of her own dreams, and pretty much everything I always wanted to be but always seem to fall short: fabulous, razor-sharp, educated, stylish, beautiful, helpful, friendly, unapologetic, emphatic, dynamic, bold, supportive, uncompromising, forward-thinking, techno-savvy-cool, engaging, quick-witted, a writer.

She embodied the sentiments of living life the way you envision it, not how others mandate how your life should be on more dull, unimaginative, limited, plebeian terms. She really was an inspiration. She graduated Harvard Divinity School, for chrissake.

It's hard to believe she took sick and died, yes, died, all in a three week span. This is shocking. I'm still reeling from the news. I can't imagine what her close friends and family are going through right now. This is one of those times when the cliches about being taken from us too soon really fit. She should still be here. I should still be able to pick up the Sunday AJC and turn to her column first. I feel cheated. Robbed of something. Missing something.

I'd write more about Diane, but I simply can't right now. The only way to stop the tears that just well-up when I start is by walking away from the keyboard. I met her once. I read her work and followed her career like a true fan. And that I will be.

Her obit is here.

Here's a Tres Chicas song for Diane from me:

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm a stay-at-home mom in Colorado, and getting Diane's column in our local paper was such a pleasure. I would cut them out and read them when I could savor a quiet moment. I never met her, didn't know much about her until my search today on Google (where I found this site), but the tears flowed like fountains yesterday when I received my paper, sat down excited to read the column from a woman I admired so much...

I am still so distraught over this loss. It's like the world is somehow not as good a place as it was before she left. That's what she did before she left. She affected complete strangers in powerful ways through her column of ideas. I share with you the incredible sadness of her loss.

Kind regards,

Mary
walkez4@yahoo.com