Sunday, July 01, 2007

Ladies' Retreat


Headed north, to Western NC. Another trip sans any menfolk along. The older I get, the more men I seem to jettison along the way. They seem to have faded from my life. By design? By accident? Lack of due diligence? The ones I know well, family members, are no longer interested in much that I am, and vice versa. We all consciously avoid one another for the most part.

I think that the more financially independent women become, then the more superfluous men become. Once the messy biology of reproduction has been achieved that is. A natural selection segregation of gender? Honestly, at this point in time, I don't really miss men in my life, unless I make a conscious effort to do so.

No small irony, this may have something to do with why I continue to thoroughly enjoy the company of men when the occasion arises; rarity invites a greater appreciation, n'est ce pas?

1 comment:

Amber Rhea said...

Alyssa and I were talking about this at the podcast party last night. I think that being independent - and being financially secure is certainly a large part of that - is honestly the best place to be when starting a relationship. Because you don't put up with the bullshit. The more secure in who you are, the quicker you "jettison" potential partners who are emotional drains, assholes, or just not a good match. And then you know that when you *do* start a relationship, it'll be because of mutual attraction and interest, not out of some weird dependent thing. And then it can truly be a relationship of equals - which, I see no point in having a relationship that is anything less than that.

(This is the Cliff notes version of my thoughts on the matter.)