Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Snake Done Gone


When Bernita isn't stalking the halls of the Gold Dome, inspiring us with her amazing brand of politics, and her hilarious, dead-on writing, she's busy wacking monster rattlers in her gram's back yard. Now there's a woman who's not scared of Jack or shit! She recounted the adventure in an email:


My Grams and I were driving from town (Augusta) and I spotted it as it was headed into my cousin's yard. I wouldn't have cared but my cousin's house is the site of the big ol'e Ritter family high school graduation gala - got 6 of them graduating on Friday night. So a big cousin has to do what she has to do!! Hell that's my graduation present to them all.

I probably would have been scared as all hell if my grandma wasn't standing next to me and giving me tips. She's done the snake warrior thing a good many times in her day.

As Garrison Keiller once said, "Well, I reckon Southerners are fine people, and I've met plenty of good Southerners, but sooner or later they all get around to talking about snakes."

Now those are true words.

12 comments:

griftdrift said...

So true. So true.

Bernita Smith said...

I was thinking about Georgia Republicans as I whacked the hell out of that snake. No difference between the two groups.

Sara said...

That thing gives me the heebie-jeebies. But then so do GA Republicans...

Amber Rhea said...

Ha! Love the Garrison Keiller quote.

Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

Been crawling towards some of my relations, I'd have kept on driving.

Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

The Republican ones that is.

Jen said...

you ain't lived til you dun a way w/a ratt'ler er two

Vergel Evans said...

that isn't a snake, it's a monster! You could make a pair of snake skin boots outta that thing! *fear*

Sara said...

This is one way in which I fulfill every bad stereotype about women: when I have to deal with snakes, I call a boy.

griftdrift said...

how are those copperheads, Sara?

Pokerista said...

Probably still alive because you wouldn't come kill them, dammit!

When I die from a copperhead bite you are going to feel SO bad.

tribalecho said...

bernita, I don't think the snakes are all that sanctimonious, and that's the Republicans real sin.